Category: Profession Guides
Enchanting allows players to add buffs to items, giving the recipient an edge at all levels of PvE and PvP. As a result, players who choose to develop Enchanting stand to make serious profits, provided that they are willing to put in the work. The most powerful spells are learned from Formulas, like Formula: Enchant Weapon – Lifestealing or Formula: Enchant Cloak – Greater Nature Resistance, which are either sold by vendors or dropped in dungeons and raids.
Unlike other professions, Enchanting does not require a secondary, gathering profession. Instead, materials (like Dusts and Essences) are created by Disenchanting existing gear, destroying it in exchange for the reagents. Because of this, players often choose to level Tailoring at the same time. The cloth armor created from Tailoring, in addition to the high level Intellect and Spirit buffs Enchanters can learn, make the profession ideal for Healers (like Priests) or DPS (like Priests, Mages, or Warlocks).
All capitals offer the ability to train Apprentice Enchanting, but players will have to venture outside to nearby areas to train up to Expert. For Alliance, Lucan Cordell in Stormwind will offer the closest option to Kitta Firewind, the Expert trainer. Godan in Orgrimmar does the same for Horde players, who must then see Hgarth to continue past Journeyman.
Both factions, however, must complete their training by seeking out Annora in the dungeon Uldaman to become an Artisan. Because of the effort required to get to her, you should gather all the materials possible prior to this stage. If you do get a group together, though, it is possible to return, and there is a second entrance to the dungeon, which makes it easier to enter.
- 1x Copper Rod
- 206x Strange Dust
- 11x Lesser Magic Essence
- 1x Silver Rod
- 18x Greater Magic Essence
- 1x Shadowgem
- 10x Lesser Astral Essence
- 65x Soul Dust (can be Disenchanted from Azure Silk Pants if leveling Tailoring)
- 1x Golden Rod
- 2x Greater Astral Essence
- 1x Iridescent Pearl
- 20x Lesser Mystic Essence
- 156x Vision Dust (DE’d from Red Mageweave Pants or Gloves if Tailoring)
- 1x Truesilver Rod
- 1x Black Pearl
- 2x Greater Mystic Essence
- 10x Lesser Nether Essence
- 290x Dream Dust (DE’d from Runecloth Belt if Tailoring)
- 20x Greater Nether Essence
- 1x Arcanite Rod
- 1x Golden Pearl
- 82x Illusion Dust (DE’d from Runecloth Shoulders if Tailoring)
- 4x Greater Eternal Essence
- 4x Small Brilliant Shard
- 2x Large Brilliant Shard
Apprentice (1 – 75)
Speak to any trainer to learn Apprentice Enchanting and begin! To start, you’ll need to purchase a Copper Rod from a supplies vendor. Horde players should speak to Kithas in Orgrimmar, while Alliance can find Jessara Cordell in Stormwind. They also sell Strange Dust and Lesser Magic Essence to get you started. From here, it’s up to you to Disenchant gear to get your remaining materials!
1 – 2: Runed Copper Rod
- Combine Copper Rod, Strange Dust, and Lesser Magic Essence from the vendor to make Runed Copper Rod.
2 – 75: Enchant Bracer – Minor Health
Once you reach skill level 50, you can train up to Journeyman!
Journeyman (75 – 150)
You’ve completed the first step on the path to becoming an Artisan Enchanter. As a Journeyman the range of buffs you create will start to widen, giving you more opportunities to help other players or to sell your services. If you start running out of Strange Dust at any point, it can be replenished by Disenchanting any low level gear.
75 – 85: Enchant Bracer – Minor Deflect
85 – 100: Enchant Bracer – Minor Stamina
100 – 101: Runed Silver Rod
For this step, the Silver Rod is made by a Blacksmith. You can bring the materials directly to one and have them make it or purchase one off the Auction House.
101 – 105: Enchant Bracer – Minor Stamina
105 – 120: Enchant Bracer – Minor Agility
120 – 130: Enchant Shield – Minor Stamina
Afterwards, you can train to Expert, which means leaving a major city. The Horde must head from Orgrimmar out to Sun Rock Retreat in the Stonetalon Mountains to meet Hgarth. The Alliance’s Expert trainer, Kitta Firewind, is at the Tower of Azora in Elwynn Forest.
130 – 150: Enchant Bracer – Lesser Stamina
If you’re leveling Tailoring at the same time, Soul Dust can be Disenchanted from Azure Silk Pants. If not, other gear of a similar item level should provide the chance to gather it.
Expert (150 – 225)
With the experience you’ve gained, you’re well on your way to becoming an Enchanter. Now that you’ve made it out of the city, you know what to expect from the rest of the leveling process. The buffs you make at this stage start becoming more useful for running dungeons or for use in PvP.
150 – 151: Runed Golden Rod
- Combine Golden Rod, Soul Dust, Greater Astral Essence, and Iridescent Pearl to make Runed Golden Rod.
Just like the Silver Rod, the Golden Rod must be made by a Blacksmith.
151 – 160: Enchant Bracer – Lesser Stamina
160 – 165: Enchant Shield – Lesser Stamina
165 – 180: Enchant Bracer – Spirit
180 – 200: Enchant Bracer – Strength
Vision Dust can be DE’d from Red Mageweave Pants or Gloves if you’re Tailoring side-by-side with Enchanting. If not, similar item level gear can provide the reagents, but as Expert and Artisan progress, they become harder and harder to come by. At this point, you can also train to Artisan. The way to find Annora is explained below.
200 – 201: Runed Truesilver Rod
- Combine Truesilver Rod, Vision Dust, Greater Mystic Essence, and Black Pearl to make Runed Truesilver Rod.
The Truesilver Rod is one of the more expensive rods to acquire, but it is almost your last!
201 – 205: Enchant Bracer – Strength
206 – 225: Enchant Cloak – Greater Defense
Artisan (225 – 300)
Finding Annora in Uldaman
Congratulations! You’ve reached the final stage of Enchanting, but the work is far from over. To learn Artisan Enchanting, all players must gather as many materials as possible and seek out Annora in Uldaman, a 5-man dungeon for players level 40+ located in the Badlands.
To get to Annora there are two possible entrances: the standard one and a back way. If you choose the second, you’ll be able to enter closer to Annora, but the cave outside is guarded by a pack of elite mobs. It’s marked on the map below.
Once inside, players will need to make their way near the Map Chamber, as marked below. Inside Annora’s room will be scorpions and a tent, and all mobs must be cleared for her to spawn.
Once she does, you will be able to train up to Artisan, and continue your leveling! Annora can also be visited more than once, but each time you do, you will have to follow the same process.
225 – 235: Enchant Gloves – Agility
235 – 245: Enchant Chest – Superior Health
245 – 265: Enchant Bracer – Greater Strength
Before leveling furthers, players must also purchase their first formula: Formula: Enchant Shield – Greater Stamina. To conserve materials and time, The Alliance must journey to Darnassus and find Mythrin’dir, and the Horde need to find Daniel Bartlett in Undercity.
265 – 290: Enchant Shield – Greater Stamina
After this, all players must go to Moonglade and find Lorelae Wintersong in Nighthaven to purchase their final formulas: Formula: Runed Arcanite Rod and Formula: Enchant Cloak – Superior Defense. Your last rod allows you to cast the highest level, endgame enchants.
290 – 291: Runed Arcanite Rod
- Combine Arcanite Rod, Illusion Dust, Greater Eternal Essence, Small Brilliant Shard, Large Brilliant Shard, and Golden Pearl to make Runed Arcanite Rod.
Your final rod must once again be made by a smith, but your reagents (Illusion Dust, Greater Eternal Essences, and the Brilliant Shards) can be gathered by Disenchanting a Tailor’s Runecloth Shoulders or higher leveled items. The last stretch of Artisan require a large amount of these, so Tailoring truly pays off as a secondary profession here.
291 – 300: Enchant Cloak – Superior Defense
And you’ve done it! After traversing Azeroth, you’ve capped your Alchemy cheaply and quickly. Congratulations! Using your Runed Arcanite Rod, you can cast the highest level of enchantments and will be in high demand for PvP and PvE players. Read on to find out how you can find the most valuable endgame formulas.
After capping, there are two primary ways for Alchemists to learn new recipes: Reputation grinding and Drops. While the chance of formulas dropping from dungeon and raid bosses is often low (< 15%), reputation with the Argent Dawn, Cenarion Circle, and Thorium Brotherhood are surefire ways to acquire new spells.
- The Thorium Brotherhood offer Mighty Spirit and Mighty Intellect. At Formula: Enchant Weapon – Mighty Spirit is available for purchase, and at Revered, players can get Formula: Enchant Weapon – Mighty Intellect. These can both be purchased from Lokhtos Darkbargainer in Blackrock Depths.
- The Cenarion Circle gives players the chance to prepare for Molten Core and Ahn’Qiraj by teaching Greater Fire Resistance and Greater Nature Resistance. At Friendly, you can pick up Formula: Enchant Cloak – Greater Fire Resistance, and at Honored, you can grab Formula: Enchant Cloak – Greater Nature Resistance. Kania at Cenarion Hold in Silithus will be your vendor.
- The Argent Dawn only offer 1 Formula, for Healing Power, but it is quite important for endgame content. Once a character is Revered, you are able to buy Formula: Enchant Bracer – Healing from any Argent Dawn Quartermaster. This includes Hasana or Lightspark in the Western Plaguelands and Miranda Breechlock in the Eastern Plaguelands.
- High level mobs and bosses also drop Enchanting formulas. These are especially rare and usually have incredibly low drop rates. They are, however, some of the most powerful spells in the game, and players pay large amounts for the buffs. These include:
- Formula: Enchant Weapon – Crusader for Crusader in Western Plaguelands
- Formula: Enchant Weapon – Lifestealing for Lifestealing in Scholomance
- Formula: Enchant Weapon – Spell Power for Spell Power in Molten Core
- Formula: Enchant Gloves – Threat for Threat from Emperor Vek’nilash in AQ20/40
- Formula: Enchant Gloves – Healing Power – for Healing Power from multiple bosses in AQ20/40
Armed with your runed rod and these formulas, your potential is limitless!