Game: Wrath of the Lich King
Content Type: Gaming Guides
Welcome to the Frost Mage PVP guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a. In this guide, you will learn about playing a Frost Mage in the arena or a battleground. The guide includes Talents, Glyphs, Gems, Enchantments, Add-ons, Gameplay & Skill rotation tips, Team setups.
This is an all-around build that is great for long fights. You can play in the Arena, Battlegrounds or 1 on 1. Some points can be reconsidered depending on your team and play style.
- Glyph of Evocation
- Glyph of Ice Barrier
- Glyph of Icy Veins if you are playing without a support
- Glyph of Mana Gem or Glyph of Blink if you have a support
- Glyph of Polymorph is used with dot classes like Priest, Warlock, Elemental Shaman
Gems are situational and depend on the build and equipment. They are used to reach the required stat caps.
- Meta: Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
- Red: Runed Cardinal Ruby
- Yellow: Quick King’s Amber
- Blue: Stormy Majestic Zircon or Mysterious Dreadstone
- Head – Arcanum of Dominance
- Shoulder – Inscription of Dominance
- Cloak – Scroll of Enchant Cloak – Spell Piercing
- Chest – Scroll of Enchant Chest – Exceptional Resilience
- Bracers – Scroll of Enchant Bracer – Superior Spellpower
- Gloves – Scroll of Enchant Gloves – Exceptional Spellpower
- Waist – Eternal Belt Buckle
- Legs – Sapphire Spellthread
- Boots – Scroll of Enchant Boots – Tuskarr’s Vitality
- One-handed – Scroll of Enchant Weapon – Mighty Spellpower
- Two-handed – Scroll of Enchant Staff – Greater Spellpower
Gameplay & Rotations
- Spell Power: 3300-3500
- Hit rating: 120
- Spell Penetration 120-130
- Critical change: 17-20%
- Resilience: 1000-1150
Covering buffs and debuffs is a useful tactic. Use Slow Fall to cover your buffs from classes who are trying to dispell/purge. Also, you can cover a Polymorph on the enemy with a debuff to make it harder to get rid of it. Polymorph can be used to heal yourself when casting against a Warrior with spell reflect.
Positioning yourself near pillars will help you to survive due to loss of sight. Fake casting may be good to lure out some CC, but a skilled opponent won’t buy it, so be careful with it. If they block your school of magic – use instant spells from another one. Ice Block can be used to get rid of CC, but be sure to pay attention and timely cancel it to receive a heal.
Use Fire ward right before being hit by a fire spell to reduce the chance of it getting dispelled. Be ready to use a Frost Ward against a Warrior with Spell Reflect ready. Invisibility can be used to cancel the target on you, meaning the enemy will have to re-target you to continue.
Here is a list of preferable partners in the 2v2 and 3v3 arena.
- Demonology Warlock
- Balance Druid
- Feral Druid
- Shadow Priest
- Discipline Priest
- Retribution Paladin
- Survival Hunter
- Frost Mage
- Rogue +Priest
- Rogue + Restoration Druid
- Demonology Warlock + Restoration Druid
- Elemental Shaman + Discipline Priest
- Balance Druid + Restoration Shaman
- Survival Hunter + Restoration Shaman / Druid
- Death Knight + Restoration Shaman / Druid
- Elemental Shaman + Holy Paladin