Category: Warrior Guides
Welcome to the Protection Warrior Tank guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a. In this guide, you will learn about playing a Protection Warrior in a raid. The guide includes Talents, Glyphs, Gems, Enchantments, Add-ons, Gameplay & Skill rotation tips.
These are the core talents for a Protection Warrior. Keep in mind, there are 12 points left for you to decide where to put them, depending on your needs.
This build is optimal for doing a 5-man dungeon. Maximizing the efficiency of your shouts and reducing some cooldowns on your defensive abilities.
The last build is for a full raid. This build improves your personal damage and therefore threat-generation. Lack of improved shouts is planned to be compensated with another Warrior, who spent points in those talents. This build has lower cooldowns on your defensive abilities, as well as improved shield slam. Shield slam is a high treat-generating skill, so use it.
Gems are situational and depend on the build and equipment. They are used to reach the required stat caps.
- Meta: Austere Earthsiege Diamond or Eternal Earthsiege Diamond
- Red: Defender’s Dreadstone
- Yellow: Enduring Eye of Zul
- Head – Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector
- Shoulder – Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle or Greater Inscription of the Gladiator
- Cloak – Scroll of Enchant Cloak – Mighty Armor or Formula: Enchant Cloak – Titanweave
- Chest – Scroll of Enchant Chest – Super Health or Scroll of Enchant Chest – Greater Defense
- Bracers – Formula: Enchant Bracer – Major Stamina
- Gloves – Heavy Borean Armor Kit or Formula: Enchant Gloves – Armsman
- Waist – Eternal Belt Buckle
- Legs – Frosthide Leg Armor
- Boots – Scroll of Enchant Boots – Greater Fortitude or Formula: Enchant Boots – Tuskarr’s Vitality
- Weapons – Formula: Enchant Weapon – Blade Ward or Formula: Enchant Weapon – Mongoose
- Shield – Formula: Enchant Shield – Major Stamina, Titanium Plating or Scroll of Enchant Shield – Defense
Gameplay & Rotations
Don’t forget to turn the boss around, your raid has to hit him from the back. Exceptions – Dragons. They are hit from the side because they can hit with the tail.
Always apply these:
Note, that sometimes other Warriors will do it for you.
In a perfect situation, every white attack should be replaced with a Heroic Strike
Shockwave is used in emergency situations, when a lot of monsters appear, or if aggro is lost.