Category: Paladin Guides
Welcome to the Protection Paladin Tank guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a. In this guide, you will learn about playing a Protection Paladin in a raid. The guide includes Talents, Glyphs, Gems, Enchantments, BiS Gear, Add-ons, Gameplay & Skill rotation tips.
Gems are situational and depend on the build and equipment. They are used to reach the required stat caps.
- Austere Earthsiege Diamond combined with Shifting Dreadstone and Sovereign Dreadstone
- Rest of the gem slots can be filled with flat Stamina – Solid Majestic Zircon
- There is also a second variant (below).
- Head – Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector
- Shoulder – Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle or Greater Inscription of the Gladiator
- Cloak – Enchant Cloak – Major Agility, Enchant Cloak – Mighty Armor or Enchant Cloak – Titanweave
- Chest – Enchant Chest – Greater Defense, Heavy Borean Armor Kit or Enchant Chest – Super Health
- Bracers – Enchant Bracers – Major Stamina
- Gloves – Heavy Borean Armor Kit or Enchant Gloves – Armsman
- Waist – Eternal Belt Buckle
- Legs – Frosthide Leg Armor
- Boots – Enchant Boots – Tuskarr’s Vitality or Enchant Boots – Greater Fortitude
- Weapons – Enchant Weapon – Blade Ward or QAEnchant Weapon Mongoose
- Shield – Enchant Shield – Major Stamina or Enchant Shield – Defense
Gameplay & Rotations
To put it simply, there is one main rotation for a Protection Paladin: the 969 rotation. It uses 5 skills: two with 6 sec cooldown and tree with 9 sec cooldown. Use a 9 sec skill, then a 6 sec skill, then a 9 sec skill, then another 6sec skill and so on.
9 sec CD:
6 sec CD:
There is no real BiS list for tanks as a good tank will always want to adjust his armor depending on the encounter. Rings, Trinkets, and Amulets are often changed depending on the needed stats: HP Pool, Armor or Resists.
- Head – Sanctified Lightsworn Faceguard
- Shoulder – Sanctified Lightsworn Shoulderguards
- Cloak – Royal Crimson Cloak
- Chest – Sanctified Lightsworn Chestguard
- Bracers – Bracers of Dark Reckoning
- Gloves – Sanctified Lightsworn Handguards
- Waist – Belt of Broken Bones
- Legs – Legguards of Lost Hope
- Boots – Treads of Impending Resurrection
- Amulet – Marrowgar’s Scratching Choker or Noose of Malachite
- Rings – Juggernaut Band and Ashen Band of Endless Courage
- Trinkets – Corroded Skeleton Key, Sindragosa’s Flawless Fang or Satrina’s Impeding Scarab