Category: Druid Guides
Welcome to the Feral Druid Tank guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a. In this guide, you will learn about playing a Feral Druid (Bear) in a raid. The guide includes Talents, Glyphs, Gems, Enchantments, Add-ons, Gameplay & Skill rotation tips.
The first build is for players with lower gear levels. You might want to tweak the build a bit for some occasions. Choose between Brutal Impact and Feral Instinct for either stun or additional AoE damage. Infected Wounds are not needed if a Death Knight is in your party.
The second build is for players with 4 T10 bonus.
Other options (for early-stages):
- Glyph of Maul is a great glyph of AoE tanking, but later on, it should be replaced by the above-mentioned glyphs. It can be used instead of Glyph of Growl early on.
- Glyph of Mangle can be used for burst-threat generation with Berserk. It can be used instead of Glyph of Survival Instincts or Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration when starting. Should be replaced afterward.
Gems are situational and depend on the build and equipment. They are used to reach the required stat caps.
- Meta: Austere Earthsiege Diamond
- Red: Shifting Dreadstone x1 to activate the Meta Gem
- Blue: everything else is filled with Solid Majestic Zircon
- Yellow: Glinting Ametrine, Accurate Ametrine and Vivid Eye of Zul are used to add Expertise & Hit rating in the beginning
- Head – Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector
- Shoulder – Greater Inscription of the Gladiator
- Cloak – Enchant Cloak – Major Agility
- Chest – Enchant Chest – Powerful Stats
- Bracers – Enchant Bracers – Major Stamina
- Gloves – Enchant Gloves – Major Agility
- Waist – Eternal Belt Buckle
- Legs – Frosthide Leg Armor
- Boots – Enchant Boots – Tuskarr’s Vitality
- Weapon – Mongoose
- Maul + Swipe (Bear) is your main AoE aggro combo. Change the targets so that everyone is hit by Maul.
- Mangle (Bear) increases damage from Maul
- Lacerate – keep 5 stacks on the target all the time, it will help generate aggro
Feral Druids have a little problem holding aggro at the pull. Use Faerie Fire right before you pull, it generates extra aggro. Use Mangle on cooldown and keep up 5 stacks of Lacerate. Use Berserk at the start and spam Mangle and Maul on cooldown to generate aggro.
- Barkskin – has a low cooldown of 1 minute. Use it as much as you can, but time it to maximize efficiency.
- Survival Instincts – is that last resort when you’re almost dead. Gives some extra time for the healers.
- Survival Instincts + Frenzied Regeneration is a good combo.
- Enrage – a standard rage-generator. But It won’t reduce armor if you have Item – Druid T10 Feral 4P Bonus (4 items from T10 set)
Stamina -> Agility -> Armor -> Hit & Expertise -> Dodge -> Haste, Strength
Stamina is the main stat for a Feral Tank, stack as much as you can. Next, we have Agility which gives us Critical strike chance, Dodge and Armor. When choosing gear, prioritize Agility over Strength as it is a much more valuable stat for us. Armor is also an important stat for a tank, as it reduces the incoming damage. Keep a lookout for items that provide additional armor (rings, trinkets, amulets, and cloaks).
Expertise reduces the chance of your attacks being parried or dodged. 26 Expertise (213 rating) is the soft cap after which the boss won’t dodge you, but will be able to parry with a 7.5% chance since you will be facing it directly. Further stacking of Expertise loses the effeciency because your attacks can’t be dodged already. Primal Precision will help in achieving the soft cap.
Our abilities require 8% of Hit (263 rating), but we also use spells like Growl and Challenging Roar which is crucial to land in a raid. As any spells, 17% of Spell Hit (446 rating) is required to always land it on the target. Getting so much Hit Rating is not reasonable for us, that is why we suggest using Glyph of Growl, leaving us with 9% Spell hit (237 rating) required. Additionally, combine the glyph with raid buffs provided by Shadow Priests (Misery) or Balance Druids (Improved Faerie Fire) to further decrease the required spell hit by 3%, making it 6% Spell hit (158 rating). To sum up, combine the Melee Hit cap with Glyph of Growl to always taunt the enemy.
(Reminder that melee and spell hit is counted differently: 1% Melee Hit = 32.79 hit rating, and 1% Spell Hit = 26.23 hit rating)
Dodge is at the end of the list because it is inferior to stacking Agility. Other stats have even less value for Feral Tank.