Category: Mage Guides
Welcome to the Arcane Mage DPS guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a. In this guide, you will learn about playing an Arcane Mage in a raid. The guide includes Talents, Glyphs, Gems, Enchantments, Add-ons, Gameplay & Skill rotation tips.
Arcane Stability is useful when you do not have Concentration Aura in your group. You can redistribute the points from Arcane Stability into Student of the Mind and Arcane Meditation. Arcane Barrage is also optional, but it is advisable to take for new players as it is used to reset the Arcane Blast debuff timer and reduce possible problems with mana.
Gems are situational and depend on the build and equipment. They are used to reach the required stat caps.
- Meta: Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
- Red: Runed Cardinal Ruby or Reckless Ametrine
- Yellow: Reckless Ametrine
- Blue: Purified Dreadstone x2, to activate the Meta Gem
Rest if filled with Yellow gems. Also, do not forget about the Hit Rating, it’s a priority
- Head – Arcanum of Burning Mysteries
- Shoulder – Greater Inscription of the Storm
- Cloak – Enchant Cloak – Greater Speed
- Chest – Enchant Chest – Powerful Stats
- Bracers – Enchant Bracers – Superior Spellpower
- Gloves – Enchant Gloves – Exceptional Spellpower
- Waist – Eternal Belt Buckle
- Legs – Brilliant Spellthread
- Boots – Enchant Boots – Icewalker or Enchant Boots – Tuskarr’s Vitality
- Two-handed – Enchant Staff – Greater Spellpower
- One-handed – Enchant Weapon – Mighty Spellpower or Enchant Weapon – Black Magic
Presence of Mind → Three Arcane Blast → Mirror Image if you have 4 T10 set (Bloodmage’s Regalia)→ Icy Veins, Arcane Power, Trinkets → Arcane Blast → Arcane Missiles if Missile Barrage activated, or wait until it procs.
Hit -> Spell Power & Haste -> Crit -> Spirit -> Intellect
Mages require 17% of Hit (446 rating) to always hit the target. Precision and Arcane Focus talents grant 6% of Hit, lowering the requirement down to 11% (289 rating). You will get the last 11% of Hit through gear, buffs, and debuffs on the target. [1% Hit = 26.23 rating]
- Target debuffs like Improved Faerie Fire (Moonkin) and Misery (Shadow Priest) increases the chance to hit with spells by 3%
- Heroic Presence is a Draenei racial aura which only affects the group and increases the hit chance by 1%
Spell Power is the primary stat of this spec. Increasing this stat gives you the most increase in DPS after Hit Rating.
Haste is another essential component of our DPS. It decreases the global cooldown down to 1 second, increasing the number of spells we can cast in a certain time frame. As an Arcane Mage, you want to minimize the casting time of Arcane Blast as much as possible. You can improve the Haste rating with 2t10 set bonus (Bloodmage’s Regalia), buffs like Heroism / Bloodlust and Berserking, and Black Magic. In terms of Haste, a minimum value of 600 should be your first objective. After that, it will increase as you progress and improve your gear. A Mage with end-game gear should have around 1400 haste (with raid buffs).
Critical Strike Rating rating is a secondary stat that will be obtained mainly from gear upgrades. Arcane Mages have more frequent crit procs through the Arcane Potency talent.
Spirit is another useful stat for this build. Molten Armor converts Spirit into Critical Strike Rating:
- Standard Molten Armor converts 35%
- Glyphed Molten Armor converts 55%
- Glyphed & 2t9 set bonus (Khadgar’s Regalia) converts 70%
Tip: You can use the 2t9 set bonus to buff an improved Molten Armor, and then switch to your regular items while still preserving the improved effect.
Last on the list is Intellect, which can also be useful in the beginning to reduce the potential mana problems.