Category: Priest Guides
Welcome to the Shadow Priest guide for World of Warcraft the Burning Crusade 2.4.3. In this guide, you will learn about playing a Shadow Priest in dungeons and raids. The guide includes Talents, Gems, Enchantments, Gameplay & Skill rotation tips.
Ranks in Improved Mind Blast and Shadow Weaving can be changed depending on your preference. Leave at least 1 point in Shadow Weaving because it is a useful debuff on the target. Improved Mind Blast is usually taken rank 1 or rank 4, but it may change depending on your latency – they goal is to ideally fit in the spell in the full rotation.
Normally, you want to use Red gems on all of your gear. Yellow & Blue gems are used only for activating Meta gem or good socket bonuses like the extra spell damage.
- Meta: Ember Skyfire Diamond (better option) or Mystical Skyfire Diamond
- Red: Runed Crimson Spinel or Runed Living Ruby
- Yellow: Veiled Noble Topaz, Potent Noble Topaz or Reckless Pyrestone (for higher tier gear)
- Blue: Glowing Shadowsong Amethyst or Glowing Nightseye
- Head – Glyph of Power
- Shoulder – Greater Inscription of Discipline, Greater Inscription of the Orb or Zandalar Signet of Mojo
- Cloak – Enchant Cloak – Subtlety
- Chest – Enchant Chest – Exceptional Stats with alternatives like Enchant Chest – Major Spirit or Enchant Chest – Restore Mana Prime
- Bracers – Enchant Bracer – Spellpower
- Gloves – Enchant Gloves – Major Spellpower or Enchant Gloves – Shadow Power
- Legs – Runic Spellthread
- Boots – Enchant Boots – Boar’s Speed or Enchant Boots – Vitality
- Weapon – Enchant Weapon – Soulfrost or Enchant Weapon – Major Spellpower as an alternative
Enchanters can also benefit from Enchant Ring – Spellpower on both of the Rings
Tailoring is great for gearing up your new priest. Look into crafting Shadoweave and Spellstrike sets as they would be with you until T4-T5 items.
You can pick up both Tailoring & Leatherworking while farming the required materials with an alt.
Jewelcrafting would give you earlier access to epic gems, but you can unlock them without the profession later on. Note: epic gems bonus does not require the profession, so you can drop it after using the gems on BiS gear.
As mentioned in the Enchants section, Enchanting grants you a unique ring enchant – Enchant Ring – Spellpower. You can use it on BiS rings and then drop the profession while keeping the bonus. Other than that – the ability to do your armor & weapon enchants.
Gameplay & Rotations
Shadow Priest doesn’t have a strict rotation, but rather a priority list of spells. Below list is for maximum damage and may cause mana problems for players with lower gear.
- Vampiric Touch – maintain on target
- Shadow Word: Pain – maintain on target
- Mind Blast – use when off cooldown
- Shadow Word: Death – use when off cooldown (note the self damage, don’t use if you won’t get healed or low on health)
- Mind Flay – if everything else is on cooldown
Another common combination of spells for players with lower gear is Vampiric Touch, Shadow Word: Pain and Mind Flay
- Elixir: Flask of Pure Death
- Potion: Super Mana Potion, Destruction Potion
- Food: Blackened Basilisk, Crunchy Serpent, Poached Bluefish
- Oil: Brilliant Wizard Oil and Superior Wizard Oil
- Drums (LW): Drums of Battle and Drums of War
Spell Hit – Spell Power – Spell Crit & Haste – Intellect – Spirit – Mana per 5 – Stamina
Each race has two unique abilities for Priests. They play a role in PVP, but less in PVE. Most of them are Holy and can’t be used by in Shadow Form making them very situational, but the Undead actually has a useful spell to combine with Inner Focus.