PVP Unholy Death Knight Guide (WotLK 3.3.5a)
Welcome to the Unholy Death Knight PVP guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a. In this guide, you will learn about playing an Unholy Death Knight in the arena or a battleground. The guide includes Talents, Glyphs, Gems, Enchantments, Add-ons, Gameplay & Skill rotation tips, Team setups.
Corpse Explosion is taken for that extra burst. It has to be timed properly and can sacrifice your pet so be careful with it.
Wandering Plague is mostly taken for Battlegrounds because it just works better with multiple targets. Still a viable choice.
Gems are situational and depend on the build and equipment. They are used to reach the required stat caps.
- Meta: Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
- Red: Resplendent Ametrine or Bold Cardinal Ruby
- Yellow: Mystic King's Amber
- Blue: Stormy Majestic Zircon x4
- Head – Arcanum of Triumph
- Shoulder – Inscription of Triumph
- Cloak – Scroll of Enchant Cloak - Spell Piercing
- Chest – Scroll of Enchant Chest - Exceptional Resilience
- Bracers – Scroll of Enchant Bracers - Greater Assault
- Gloves – Scroll of Enchant Gloves - Crusher
- Waist – Eternal Belt Buckle
- Legs – Earthen Leg Armor
- Boots – Scroll of Enchant Boots - Greater Assault
- Weapon – Rune of the Fallen Crusader
Gameplay & Rotations
5% Hit Rating → 135 Spell Penetration → Strength → Crit → Haste → 1000+ Resilience
- Diseases are always on the target. Use Chains of Ice and Plague Strike
- Scourge Strike for dealing damage or Death Strike for healing
- Spread diseases with Pestilence or use Blood Strike if no other enemies nearby
- Death Coil when you have unused runic power
- Use Frost presence when you need to tank damage otherwise, use Unholy presence - it's your main presence.
Spells and Tips
- Summon Gargoyle – Your Gargoyle scales from your stats when summoned, so be sure to summon it when fully buffed and with procs. Gargoyle attacks the same target as Ghoul. If the Ghoul is dead then you can't control it.
- Anti-Magic Shell – Can be used defensive and offensive. You can start the fight against casters with it, just use Horn of Winter, Death and Decay 2 seconds before the fight.
- Anti-Magic Zone – Shields your party for 75% of the magic damage. Use this in situations when you are about to get burst down.
- Horn of Winter – Gives 155 Agility and Strenght. Grants additional 10 Runic power. This has to be up all the time.
- Bone Shield – 20% Damage reduction for 3 strikes.
- Lichborne – Break out of Fear, Charm, Sap, Polymorph. Keep in mind, you have to use it before the crowd-control, as it is not usable when you are already, feared for example. Also, you might want to cancel the effect sometimes, because paladins will be able to use fear on you, as you will be considered as undead.
- Empower Rune Weapon – Re-activates all runes and grants 25 Runic power. Use this after your first rotation and afterwards, you can use Gargoyle to start bursting.
When you see a spell cast – you have 4 options to interrupt it:
- Mind Freeze – This is good against healers as it prevents 4 seconds of that school from being cast.
- Death Grip – Keep in mind, that this spell can be used to save your teammate from a bad situation where he is focused.
- Gnaw – your pet stuns.
Add-ons improve your gameplay by a lot. It is necessary to utilize add-ons, since they play a vital role in your performance, whether you are in a raid, arena or at the auction house.
Check out our Add-ons Page which will provide you with a download link and some configuration info. The addon versions are for WoW WotLK 3.3.5a. The site has multiple versions of the add-ons, so if you need another version – you can also search for it there.
Here is a list of preferable partners in the 2v2 and 3v3 arena.
- Holy Paladin – Paladins are one of the best supports you could have. This is not the easiest duo to play, but it's a really powerful one.
- Shadow Priest – Probably best double DPS comp for a DK. Has tons of shadow damage
- Any other healer – Some are better than others. For example Shamans Heroism/Bloodlust will drastically increase the damage of your Gargoyle, not to mention yourself.
- Arms Warrior + Holy Paladin
- MM Hunter + Holy Paladin
- Frost Mage + Discipline Priest
- Retribution Paladin / Rogue + Any healer
- Affliction Warlock / Shadow Priest + Resto Druid / Shaman
for 2v2 Arena is the diszi priest the number one, bcs you and the Priest will never die and the priest makes dmg to