PVE Fire Mage DPS G...

Notifications
Clear all

PVE Fire Mage DPS Guide (WotLK 3.3.5a)  

Page 1 / 2

Malphaz
(@malphaz)
wpf-cross-image

Welcome to the Fire Mage DPS guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a. In this guide, you will learn about playing a Fire Mage in a raid. The guide includes Talents, Glyphs, Gems, Enchantments, BiS Gear, Add-ons, Gameplay & Skill rotation tips.

Talent Tree

The first build uses Frostfire Bolt spell as main source of damage. It is more suitable for new players with lower gear level.

Fire Mage Frostfire Talent Tree Wow 3.3.5a

The second build uses Fireball as main damaging spell. It is more suitable for players with higher gear level. Torment of the Weak is a great talent to boost your damage. Bosses can't be snared, but the talent requires only the debuff to be present on the target to work.

Fire Mage Fireball Talent Tree Wow 3.3.5a

Both builds can redistribute one point from Master of Elements into Blast Wave for increased utility.

Glyphs

Major Glyphs

The last glyph is depending on the build you use.

Minor Glyphs

Gems

Gems are situational and depend on the build and equipment. They are used to reach the required stat caps.

Option 1: low-level gear, stable DPS:

Option 2: high-level gear, enough spell damage to add some crits:

Enchants

Weapons

Rotation

Scorch

Living Bomb →  spam Fireball or Frostfire BoltPyroblast

Stat Priority

Hit -> Spell Power & Crit -> Haste -> Spirit -> Intellect 

It’s worth mentioning that Fire specs have higher stat requirements than Arcane regarding Hit and Crits ratings.  

Mages require 17% of Hit (446 rating) to always hit the target. Precision lowers the requirement by 3%, leaving 14% (368 rating). You will get the last 14% of Hit through gear, buffs, and debuffs on the target. [1% Hit = 26.23 rating]  

• Target debuffs like Improved Faerie Fire (Moonkin) and Misery (Shadow Priest) increases the chance to hit with spells by 3%  
  • Heroic Presence is a Draenei racial aura which only affects the group and increases the hit chance by 1%  

Spell Power and Critical Strike Rating are the primary stats for this spec. As a Fire Mage, the more crits you do, the more consistent the DPS is. The spec heavily relies on Hot Streak talent, so it only makes sense to have frequent and powerful crits. This spec requires a minimum amount of 45% crit to be viable. 71% of Crit is required to have a 50% chance to proc Hot Streak after casting a Fireball. Increase Haste with gear upgrades, as it is a secondary stat for this build. Spirit is another useful stat for this build. Molten Armor converts Spirit into Critical Strike Rating:  

• Standard Molten Armor converts 35% 
  • Glyphed Molten Armor converts 55% 
  • Glyphed & 2t9 set bonus (Khadgar's Regalia) converts 70% 

Tip: You can use the 2t9 set bonus to buff an improved Molten Armor, and then switch to your regular items while still preserving the improved effect. 

Last on the list is Intellect, which can also be useful in the beginning to reduce the potential mana problems. 

BiS Gear

Armor

Weapons

9 Replies
mmd
 mmd
(@mmd)

i have a 4.4k gs and i do the rotation but i steel dont deal much dameg
what am i doing wrong?

Kryštof Hák
 Kryštof Hák
(@Kryštof Hák)

hi, wich of the 2 trinket would you say is better? Thanks

1 Reply
DarkKiller
 DarkKiller
(@DarkKiller)

Phylactery, by far...

Agarash
 Agarash
(@Agarash)

Hi, Torment the Weak is indeed a great talent, but with which debuff does it work ? Are we in the obligation to cast a frostfire bolt before spamming with our fireballs to make it work ?

2 Replies
Tzevy
 Tzevy
(@Tzevy)

This is mainly a raid spec and in order for the TTW to take effect, you need a "slow" debuff on the target and any will do. Rogue's poisons have slow effects and many other abilities from the raid have that so you won't be needing to apply this effect yourself unless you are soloing some mob on your own. If that's the case, I still prefer my PvP frost spec even if it takes longer to kill...

Agarash
 Agarash
(@Agarash)

Ok, I was wandering about the slow effect, if it had to be on speed or attack speed but it seems that any of that will do it.. so great news, thank you !

Chorice
 Chorice
(@Chorice)

Why no wand mentioned in the BiS list? Should be Corpse-Impaling Spike HC, right?

Page 1 / 2
Scroll to Top